Arbitration and Mediation
Jeff has extensive arbitration and other alternative dispute resolution experience. He serves on the commercial and consumer rosters of arbitrators for the American Arbitration Association and has a track record of success with litigating complex arbitrations before the AAA. Jeff also serves as a non-public arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) in customer and industry disputes. Finally, Jeff serves as a mediator in state and federal lawsuits. His Alternative Dispute Resolution training includes:
- AAA ACE 19 Case Finances: What Arbitrators Need to Know, 2019
- AAA Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators, 2018
- AAA arbitration Awards - Safeguarding, Deciding and writing Awards, (ADSO 1 ), 2018
- AAA Virtual Hearings: Best Practices for Arbitrators, 2020
- AAA Cyber Security: A Shared Responsibility, 2020
- AAA Impartiality: Do You Know Where Your Biases Are? - 2021
- FINRA Online Basic Panel Training, 2021
- FINRA Understanding the Prehearing Stage, 2021
- FINRA Discovery Training, 2021
- FINRA Duty to Disclose , 2021
- FINRA Civility Training, 2021
- FINRA New Chairperson Training, 2021
- FINRA Expungement, 2021
Notable Experience as Arbitration Counsel
He acted as counsel in the following types of cases arbitrated through an award:
- Represented the respondents and defended a financial advisor and his broker-dealer in multiple arbitrations alleging securities fraud, intentional torts, negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. (Collectively, more than $5 million in dispute).
- Represented the claimant and counter-respondent. Sought reformation of a recorded deed to change the manner in which title was held, adjust the ownership percentages of various family members to a 143-acre farm and partition the property. (Approx. $500,000 in dispute).
- Represented claimant and counter-respondent against a former financial advisor seeking damages for the breach of a covenant not to compete and for an order requiring future compliance with the contract. Issues involving theft of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract were arbitrated. Defended against a counterclaim regarding the alleged failure to pay compensation owed. (Over $1.0 million in dispute).
- Represented the claimant and brought a claim for breach of contract and violation of the Wisconsin Fair Dealership Law against a manufacturer. (Over $1.0 million in dispute).
- Represented the respondent and counterclaimant in an M&A matter involving a breach of contract, accounting and post-closing adjustments related to the purchase price of the sale of a business. (Over $4.5 million in dispute).
- Represented the claimant and counter-respondent relating to the alleged breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing involving a letter of intent to sell all of the equity of a corporate subsidiary to one of the subsidiary's vendors. Defended a counterclaim for breach of contract related to the non-payment of services. (Over $1.5 million in dispute).
Notable Experience as an Arbitrator
Jeff has served, or is serving, as an arbitrator in a wide variety of matters, including disputes involving:
- Bank accounts
- Breach of contract
- Cellular service contracts
- Commercial and consumer finance transactions
- Consumer protection laws
- Software licensing
- Uniform Commercial Code
- Valuation matters