Nate serves as a business and estate planning attorney and provides counsel to both companies and individuals. He approaches his legal practice by listening to his clients’ concerns and working with them to accomplish their objectives. Nate works closely with his clients to develop an action plan. He analyzes the specific facts of each clients’ case and uses his skills and experience to achieve his clients’ goals.
He enables his clients to make informed decisions in the course of a transaction through his detailed analysis of business and legal facts. Nate’s clients appreciate his direct approach to problem solving. His particular attention to transaction analysis ensures that his clients’ business interests are well-protected.
As a transactional corporate and estate planning attorney he focuses his practice on addressing both general and specific business matters, including start-ups, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and dissolutions. Nate is a member of the Minnesota Trucking Association and has represented hundreds of motor carriers and logistics companies in all facets of legal matters or other snafus, including licensing, reorganizations, mergers, sales, acquisitions, and all aspects of accident defense.
Nate also drafts contract hauling agreements, equipment leases and trailer interchange agreements as well as assists with worker mis-classification issues, OOIDA issues, freight claims and other challenges transportation companies encounter. Nate has extensive experience in business succession and tax planning matters. In addition, He drafts tax-efficient estate planning instruments to transfer wealth and businesses from one generation to another. Nate has obtained his Series 7 and Series 66 brokerage licenses.
Presentations & Articles
- "Transportation and Logistics Entity Structure Briefing - Separation of Brokerage Business from Carrier Entity," June 2021
- “Mergers & Acquisitions of Pass-Through Entities: Structuring to Minimize Taxes & Maximize Deal Value,” Strafford (November 8, 2018) [co-presenter]
- “Using LLC’s to Protect Assets,” National Business Institute Live Video Webcast (August 29, 2017) [co-presenter]
- “Residency Issues,” Stockwell Eldredge Radio Show (July 16, 2017)
- “Piercing the Corporate Veil: Minimizing Alter Ego Liability for Subsidiaries, Affiliates and Related Entities,” Strafford (June 8, 2017) [co-presenter]
- “Corporate Structure,” Minnesota Trucking Association Management Conference (April 20, 2017)
- “Trusts for Business Owners,” Truck Writers, (April 2017) [co-presenter]
- “Feature Presentor,” Stockwell Eldredge Radio Show (February 5, 2017)
- “How Creating Holding Companies & Silos Can Protect Your Trucking Business,” Truck Writers (May 25, 2016)
- “Prince and the Importance of Estate Planning,” Stockwell Eldredge Radio Show (May 8, 2016)
- “The Ultimate Guide to LLCs as Asset Protection Tools,” National Business Institute (February 2016) [co-presenter]
- “Parent-Subsidiary and Related Business Entity Law,” National Business Institute (November 2015) [co-presenter]
- “Drafting Shareholder Agreements for Closely Held Businesses,” Straffordpub (November 2015) [co-presenter]
- “Minnesota’s LLC Makeover – Increased Certainty Heightens LLCs’ Appeal,” Minnesota CLE (September 2015) [co-presenter]
- “Estate Planning, Financial Planning & Asset Protection for Business Owners,” Bunker Hills Golf Club (July 30, 2015) [co-presenter]
- “Minnesota’s New LLC Law,” Ramsey County Bar Association (June 24, 2015) [co-presenter]
- “CRTs: A Powerful Tool for Income-Tax Planning,” Minnesota Bench & Bar (April 2015) [co-author]
- “Minnesota’s LLC Makeover,” Minnesota Bench & Bar (February 2015) [co-author]