- LL.B., University of Wisconsin Law School
- A.B., Dartmouth College
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
David is an attorney in the firm’s Brookfield office. He has a trial, arbitration and administrative law practice concentrating in general business litigation, securities, and regulatory matters before federal and state trial and appellate courts, administrative agencies and arbitration panels. He also practices in the area of school law representing school administrators, parents and students, charter schools and school districts.
For more than 25 years David has served as an arbitrator in securities law disputes. He continues to be a FINRA arbitrator, and often is appointed to chair arbitration panels. He has also arbitrated cases involving matters other than securities disputes.
Prior to joining DeWitt, David was a shareholder at another Wisconsin firm. He also has a background in government having served as legal counsel to the governor of Wisconsin and as Wisconsin Deputy Attorney General. He also served as an elected member of a Milwaukee area local school board.
He received his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his law degree with Order of the Coif honors from the University of Wisconsin-Madison where he served as Editor-in-Chief of Wisconsin Law Review.
- American Bar Association
- Board Member – State Bar Dispute Resolution Section
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association
- Former Member – Mequon Thiensville School Board
- Frank L Weyenberg Library of Mequon-Thiensville
- Milwaukee Bar Association
Awards & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers® in Wisconsin – Business Litigation (2005-2019)
Service Area Subspecialty