Wes is a Partner in the environmental and government relations practice groups. Wes’s practice is dedicated to guiding manufacturers, developers and the food and agriculture industries through their interactions, negotiations, and disputes with the government to achieve successful outcomes. His practice has a particular emphasis on environmental remediation, local land use regulation and water issues.
At the state level, Wes defends clients facing enforcement actions and litigates appeals for clients who receive adverse decisions from administrative agencies. Wes also advocates for clients before the Wisconsin State Legislature and executive branch. He has significant experience drafting legislative proposals and administrative rules to help clients reach their public policy goals. Wes also often advises companies and trade associations on political law compliance, including issues relating to campaign finance, lobbying, and ethics.
Nationally, Wes works with manufacturers, landowners, the paper and pulp industry, and other businesses to enforce their rights under national environmental laws including CERCLA, RCRA, and the Clean Water Act. Wes also has experience in municipal law. He represents clients before zoning boards, plan commissions, and other local government entities.
Prior to joining DeWitt, Wes served as a staff attorney in the civil division of the Milwaukee County Circuit Court and as a legislative aide in the office of the Wisconsin Senate President. During law school, Wes was the Executive Articles Editor of the Loyola University Chicago Law Journal.
- Assisted a landowner to obtain a favorable outcome in a CERCLA case.
- Worked with a major Wisconsin-based manufacturer to seamlessly comply with financial assurance regulations under the RCRA and CERCLA environmental programs.
- Advocated on behalf of multiple trade associations to obtain favorable policy outcomes when engaging with the Wisconsin Legislature and executive branch.
- Guided multiple businesses through the State of Wisconsin’s procurement process.
- Advised businesses and trade associations on compliance with Wisconsin’s complex campaign finance regulatory system.
Articles & Presentations