David has about 30 years of experience helping clients to protect and enforce their valuable intellectual property assets while also gaining a competitive advantage in the marketplace. He works diligently to ensure the legal results delivered to his clients align with their business and intellectual property goals.
His experience includes being the first in-house patent counsel of Cargill, Inc. a global food, agriculture, industrial and financial products company based in Minneapolis. In that role he built a group of attorneys and paralegals within the company which was able to adeptly handle its IP issues. He later became Cargill’s Deputy Chief Intellectual Property Counsel.
He has personally negotiated numerous divestitures, acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing and collaborate research transactions with third parties on an international basis. Additionally, he has litigated or managed numerous large-stakes patent and trade secrets infringement cases and provided legal opinions to clients on a wide array of infringement and patent validity issues.
His experience as in-house and outside IP counsel has provided him with a unique perspective that allows him to offer keen insight to a variety of clients ranging from corporate entities to individuals.
- Manage legal issues related to trade secrets, patents, trademarks, and copyrights.
- Prepare and prosecute patents to protect inventions in a variety of technological fields, including the mechanical, chemical, biotechnology, and business methods arenas.
- Prepare and prosecute trademark registrations for clients in many different industries.
- Investigate and deliver patentability, freedom-to-operate and non-infringement legal opinions related to third-party patents. Work with clients to safely work around competitors’ patents.
- Business Transactions – prepare and negotiate confidentiality, research, joint development, license, M&A, joint venture, manufacturing, and distribution agreements to monetize intellectual property or obtain rights under third-parties’ intellectual property.
- Conduct due diligence inquiries and analysis and IP audits.
- Litigate patent and other intellectual property disputes.
- Develop strategic patent and trademark portfolios, IP strategies and IP plans.