Mackall, Crounse & Moore, PLC has joined Dewitt Ross & Stevens S.C.

The newly formed DeWitt Mackall Crounse & Moore S.C. will provide clients with enhanced legal services
and efficiencies as well as access to more than 100 attorneys practicing in nearly 30 areas of
law in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Dismiss this message


News & Education

Back to Minnesota Articles

Filter by:

COVID-19 Income Loss? Ways to Modify Child Support & Spousal Maintenance

The COVID-19 crisis is causing loss of income across Minnesota, which can impact the ability to pay divorce obligations. If you owe child support or spousal maintenance and you lose your job – how can you modify your obligations?  On the other hand, you may be receiving child support or spousal maintenance and you lose your job….can you get more support from your ex-spouse? Experienced attorney Kathleen M. Newman of DeWitt LLP helps clients navigate these crucial issues and offers these pointers.

  1. Basic RulesIn general, Minnesota law allows for the modification of child support and spousal maintenance where two simultaneous conditions occur: (a) there is a “substantial change in circumstances” (e.g. 20% gross income decrease) that (b) causes the existing support obligation to be “unreasonable or unfair” (e.g. income change).

    If the payor’s financial condition worsens, then this may merit a decrease, suspension or termination of the obligations.  Conversely, these obligations can be increased where the recipient’s financial condition worsens. However, while child support can always be modified, if the spousal maintenance award is subject to a “Karon Waiver” it cannot be modified no matter what the change is in either party’s financial situation. 
  2. Seek an Agreement: If your financial circumstances change because of job loss, for instance, consider contacting your ex-spouse to request a modification of the payments. Provide specifics concerning your changed circumstances and explain how they justify a modification. If you reach an agreement, it must be put in writing, signed by both parties, filed with the court, and signed by a judge. This agreement is known as a Stipulation and Order. Any other form of agreement may not be legally enforceable, including confirming text messages or emails. If you are not comfortable contacting your ex-spouse, your attorney can do the negotiating for you.
  3. No Mutual Agreement Reached: If an agreement is not reached then you will need to file a motion and supporting papers as well as other documents, including paystubs, termination letters, tax records, and related items with the court. At this point it is often essential to hire an experienced family law attorney to prepare these papers and to represent you in court. Keep in mind the court will only change the obligation amount from the date the motion is filed with the court (i.e. not back to the date of the income change), so it is critical that the motion be filed promptly.

Take-away: Income loss, whether from COVID-19 or from other causes, can dramatically impact a party’s ability to pay divorce obligations or conversely, increase a recipient’s needs for support or maintenance. Attorney Kathleen M. Newman of DeWitt LLP compassionately and effectively helps parties modify these obligations to fit changed circumstances. Please click here to schedule a consultation to review the specifics of your situation.


Minn. Stat. §518A.39, Subd. 2.

About the Author

With extensive experience in all aspects of marital dissolutions, Kathleen M. Newman has handled many complex divorces, including cases with closely held business interests, professional practices and high net worth cases. Her clients appreciate her listening skills and quick assessment of complex issues. She helps her clients organize a strategy to accomplish their goals in resolving the issues in their divorces.

She can be reached by email at or by phone at 612-305-1400.




Our Locations

Greater Milwaukee - Get Directions

Green Bay - Get Directions

Madison - Get Directions

Minneapolis -Get Directions



Get to know us

DeWitt LLP is one of the ten largest law firms based in Wisconsin, with an additional presence in Minnesota. It has more than 130 attorneys practicing in Madison, Greater Milwaukee, Green Bay and Minneapolis in over 30 legal practice areas, and has the experience to service clients of all scopes and sizes.


We are an active and proud member of Lexwork International, an association of mid-sized independent law firms in major cities located throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia and an active member of SCG Legal, an association of more than 140 independent law firms serving businesses in all 50 state capitals and major commercial centers around the world.


Super Lawyers 2021
Best Lawyers 2013 – 2021
Compass Award 2012
Top 100 Lawyers: National Trial Lawyers Association


While we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an “engagement letter”). You will not be a client of the firm until you receive such an engagement letter.

The best way for you to initiate a possible representation is to call DeWitt LLP at 608-255-8891. We will make every effort to put you in touch with a lawyer suited to handle your matter. When you receive an engagement letter from one of our lawyers, you will be our client and we may exchange information freely.

Please click the “OK” button if you understand and accept the foregoing statement and wish to proceed.