Eric’s practice includes representing clients in various technology and commercial disputes throughout the U.S. He focuses primarily on intellectual property litigation. He works with his clients to achieve goal-oriented litigation. Additionally, Eric has taken ten cases to verdict, in matters ranging from life-saving medical devices to farming technology.
Prior to entering private practice, Eric served as law clerk to the Honorable Peder B. Hong in Minnesota’s First Judicial District.
Eric represented H&S Manufacturing in a contentious, patent infringement matter, which was a bet-the-company case. Its Chairman and CEO, Chris Heikenen, noted, “I knew Eric was crackerjack smart and quick, but was stunned by his skill in the heat of the battle. It was a tough case and we got the best outcome we could reasonably expect in light of some unanticipated pretrial rulings. My company, my retirement, everything was on the line. If things had gone badly, I would have been in a world of hurt. There was no one I would rather have had to represent me.” - Chris Heikenen, Chairman and CEO, H&S Manufacturing Co. Inc.
- Represented defibrillator manufacturer against competitor and secured $23 million verdict for breach of patent cross-license.
- Represented souvenir wholesaler and major retailer in trademark dispute – invalidated competitor trademarks with no liability.
- Represented client in the agricultural equipment industry – while the client was found to infringe a competitor’s patents, the jury awarded the plaintiff a small fraction of what was sought, and substantially less than the competitor was ready to accept as settlement.
- Represented manufacturer of high-speed data storage testing solutions against multiple infringers – cases settled with seven-figure payment, redesigns of infringing products and no licenses.
- Represented computer software manufacturer against four separate charges of patent infringement – all cases resolved favorably without any payment to plaintiffs.
Articles and Presentations:
- The Nuts and Bolts of Court-Ordered Mediation, DeWitt LLP, December 12, 2019
- A New Weapon for Tech Companies to Fend off Trolls, Hennepin Lawyer, January/February 2019, Volume 88, Issue 1
- Check Yourself: Target and Burberry Square Off Over IP, IP Law360, June 6, 2018
- Burberry vs. Target: Drawing the line between inspiration and infringement, Star Tribune, August 20, 2018
- Patent Trolls – Separating the Myth from Reality, MA Insider, January 2014
- Alternative Fee Arrangements for Litigation Matters, Ideas on Intellectual Property Law, June/July 2012
- A New Year, a New Law: Patent Rights Under a First-to-File Regime, MA Insider, December 2012