- J.D., University of Pittsburgh
- B.A., University of Wisconsin – Madison
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
With years of experience in the legal and regulatory minefield that health care providers face, Brian applies his knowledge, experience and relations to assist providers in navigating issues unique to the health care field in proactive compliance and performance improvement efforts, business transactions, contracting, as well as responding to enforcement actions, employment matters, or litigation. Clients appreciate his passionate advocacy on their behalf, while remaining mindful of the impact on the patients/residents they serve. Brian is a leading advocate on a national and local level for long term health care providers.
Brian is the chair of the firm’s Health Law practice group and has also served as the chairperson of the health care committee with Lexwork International and the Wisconsin State Bar Health Section.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Regent Soccer Club – Board of Directors
- Society for the Advancement of Gerontological Environments (SAGE) – Board Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin Health Law Section – Former Chair
- Wisconsin Center for Assisted Living
- Wisconsin Coalition for Person Directed Care – Board of Directors
- Wisconsin Health Care Association
- Wisconsin Joint Legislative Council Special Committee on Legal Interventions for Persons with Alzheimer's Disease and Related Dementias – Public Member
- Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association
Awards & Recognitions
- “Top Lawyer” – Madison Magazine, 2009
“Brian has the rare combination so valued by clients of being our business partner and our attorney. His prompt and effective responses to our legal and organizational needs have made him and his firm our choice for any legal matter in Wisconsin.” – Stacie L. Turner, Esq., Vice President & General Counsel, Exceptional Living Centers
“Brian understands the issues that impact the long-term-care industry extremely well and produces results in a timely manner. In addition, Brian does not lose sight of his clients’ interests in containing costs associated with legal matters.” – Lore Brownson, VP and Chief Counsel, RehabCare
Brian focuses his practice on representing, advocating for and advising on behalf of health care providers. He has a unique sub-specialty in the area of long term care. From the smallest owner-operated facility or practice, to the largest multi-state companies, Brian oversees the regulatory, compliance and transactions for his health care clients.
He serves as general counsel for the Wisconsin Health Care Association and the Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association, and as the Executive Director of the Wisconsin Center for Assisted Living. He is a frequent speaker to the provider community as part of his efforts to assist and encourage proactive compliance efforts.
Brian is local counsel for four of the top ten largest nursing home providers in the country.
Some of the health care law areas Brian advises clients in include:
- Compliance and Enforcement
- Employment-screening, retention, discipline
- Provider network contracting
- Facility licensure/operations transfers
- Provider acquisition/sale transactions
- Professional licensure actions
- Abuse prevention, investigation, reporting
- Advance Directives/End-of-Life/bioethics
- Policy development
Service Area Subspecialties
- Health Care Law