Jordan is a Partner in the Madison office of DeWitt and a member of the firm’s Trusts & Estates, Business, and Real Estate practice groups. He focuses his practice in the areas of estate planning, probate, and trust administration, as well as business transactions and real estate. Jordan represents individuals, families, and businesses of all sizes focusing on legal issues surrounding wealth transfer and business succession planning. His practice often requires confronting and resolving the complex family dynamics and tax implications involved in the transfer of assets to succeeding generations.
Representative client matters include:
- Drafting of wills, revocable trusts, financial and health care powers of attorney for individuals and families at all levels of complexity, ranging in value from very modest to ultra-high net worth.
- Probating estates.
- Developing strategies to reduce or eliminate federal estate and gift taxes including the use of irrevocable trusts and charitable gift planning techniques.
- Advising individual and corporate trustees regarding trust administration and termination, including strategies to modify trusts that do not require court intervention.
- Drafting and negotiating pre-marital agreements.
- Counseling business owners on the creation of new business ventures including corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies.
- Negotiating business contracts for the purchase and sale of goods and services and the licensing of intellectual property.
- Representing sellers and purchasers of businesses in asset and stock purchase transactions.
- Negotiating simple and complex residential and commercial real estate sales, purchases and leases.
Articles & Presentations
- “IRS Proposes Crackdown on Valuation Discounts: What You and Your Family Business Need to Know,” UW Family Business Center, Food for Thought Program, October 2016
- “IRS Reports $391 Billion Gifted in 2012,” DeWitt Estate Planning Blog, October 2014
- “The New Rules of Estate Planning,” DeWitt Estate Planning Blog, October 2014
- “IRS Issues Final Regulations on Determining Which Trust & Estate Costs are Subject to Itemized Deduction Floor,” DeWitt Estate Planning Blog, May 2014
- “The Importance of Coordinating Retirement Beneficiary Designations,” DeWitt Estate Planning Blog, April 2014
- “New Ruling Inconsistent with IRS IRA Rollover Limits,” DeWitt Estate Planning Blog, February 2014
- “Federal Estate and Gift Tax Exclusion for 2014,” DeWitt Estate Planning Blog, January 2014
- “What’s the Big Deal? Why Taxpayers, the Courts and the IRS Disagree about a Discount for Built-in Gains” (ACTEC Journal, Volume 34, Number 3, Winter 2008, 187)